How to Contact your Local MP

Here we set out how you can locate and complain to your local MP if there has been an unreasonable delay in the Home Office deciding your visa application

Many of our clients have successfully contacted their MPs to make an intervention on their behalf if they haven’t heard back from the Home Office after following the previous steps outlined in this series of articles on How to Complain about Home Office Delays to Visa Applications.

According to the webpage for Parliament, you should get in touch with your MP “if you feel you have been treated unfairly by a Government office or agency”.

The simplest method is to write a letter to your MP at the House of Commons, London SW1A OAA, or email them using the Directory of MPs. This way, you can be sure to include all the information related to your complaint, including a timeline of the previous steps you have taken.

You also have a right to meet your MP and explain the difficulties that you are experiencing. Most MP’s will have staff specially trained to deal with these types of matters. Your MP has a duty to help you, so long as you live in their constituency. That is why it is important that you always contact your own local MP.

follow each of these steps, starting from the first, in order. It is important that you take these steps when complaining about the Home Office:

  1. My Visa Application is Delayed – What Can I Do?
  2. Home Office Compensation for Delays in Processing Visa & Immigration Applications
  3. How to Chase a Delayed UK Visa & Immigration Application
  4. Contact UK Visas and Immigration for Assistance
  5. Complain about UKVI
  6. Contact your local MP
  7. Complain to Parliamentary and health Service Ombudsman
  8. Pre-Action Protocol Letter
  9. Judicial Review